7.21.2013

Chocolate Chip Cookies

I haven't baked any cookies in a long while. I think it could be the never-ending heatwave I have already mentioned in numerous posts, or the fact that the last few batches I have made have turned out just so-so. But for some reason this week, I was really wanting a chocolate chip cookie, and after my coworker gave me this recipe to try, there wasn't much that could be done to change my mind about making it.

 
I have never chilled a cookie dough before that I can recall, but I think it really makes a difference in the 'height' of the cookie. Starting with a cold dough reduces the spread of the cookie, and makes for a luscious and chewy result.
 

Recipe:
1 3/4 + 1 tbsp all purpose flour
3/4 tsp salt

1/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 1/4 sticks unsalted butter at room temperature
1 cup + 2 tbsp brown sugar
1 large egg + 1 large egg yolk
1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract

Chocolate chips & chopped walnuts

I'm assuming most can go through the motions of preparing a cookie dough recipe, but just in case...

Mix flour, salt, baking powder and soda. Beat in the egg, the yolk and the vanilla. Add the dry ingredients in parts. Fold in chocolate chips and nuts.

Cover the bowl and chill for 6-24 hours.

Bake at 375F for 15-20 minutes. Racks should be positioned in the lower and upper-middle positions and swapped half way through.

No comments:

Post a Comment