6.01.2013

Lemon Yogurt Cake

For whatever reason, I feel like warm weather and citrus flavors go hand in hand. As the clouds and rain finally gave way toward the end of this week, I felt the urge to try a recipe I had clipped awhile back for a citrusy pound cake, made with lemon zest and yogurt. I tweaked the it a touch, and the results were delicious!



Lemon Yogurt Cake


1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2 tsp baking powder
3/4 tsp kosher salt
3/4 cup sugar
1 1/5 tbs lemon zest
1-2 tbs lemon juice 
3/4 cup greek yogurt (I used lemon flavored)
1/2 cup vegetable oil
2 eggs
1/2 tsp vanilla extract

-Preheat oven to 350°. Coat a loaf pan with butter/veggie spray and dust with flour. 
-Mix flour, baking powder, and kosher salt in a bowl. 
-Rub sugar and lemon zest together in separate bowl using your fingers until the sugar starts to clump a bit. Add yogurt, oil, eggs, and vanilla and mix. Add in dry ingredients and mix until just blended.
-Pour batter into loaf pan and jiggle to smooth out the top. Bake until it looks like a beaming brick of gold, about 45-50 minutes.



Enjoy with fresh fruit, whip, or a scoop of honey ice cream! I think the next time I make this (there will be a next time), I will add some lavender buds, and hang back on the lemon zest a touch to ensure that the herbal flavor comes through.

Happy weekend!






No comments:

Post a Comment