5.28.2013

Weekend Roundup: Memorial Day Weekend

The past 72 hours were filled with concerts, friends, cocktails and lots of eats, which have left me sitting at my desk with a severe relaxation hangover. Cant all weekends be three days long? But alas, back to the food.
Lately I have been making the journey a few times a month to Fubon, an Asian supermarket out on 82nd and Division. *tremble* Their inexpensive and vast selection of spices, sauces, herbs and fresh veggies are fabulous enough to drag me out to that otherwise desolate and depressing strip of neighborhood. After venturing out last weekend, I was left with an overwhelming amount of jalapeno peppers. Not being the biggest spice fanatic in the world, I wasn't sure how I was going to end up using them.

We were planning on having some friends over for some slow cooked carnitas before checking out a (TRES AMAZING!) Tame Impala show on Sunday, so I figured that picked jalapenos would be a nice accompaniment for the tacos.

Pickling the jalapenos removes a lot of the initial crunch of the jalapeno, while still leaving the heat element intact. Not to mention they will last for weeks and will be easy to toss into asian noodles, tacos and onto sandwiches.

Pickled Jalapenos:

- jalapenos (I used around 10-15)
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup white vinegar
- garlic (I used three cloves)
- 5 tbs sugar
- 2 tbs kosher salt

Smash the garlic cloves with the side of a large knife to open them up a bit. Heat all ingredients (minus jalapenos) until all salt and sugar has dissolved and the mixture comes to a boil. Add jalapenos and remove from heat. Smush the jalapenos down a bit so they are covered by the liquid, and let sit for 10-20 minutes. Add everything to a jar of your choice to store and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment