10.04.2013

Work Bites: Wheatberry Salad

As the weather begins to cool, I have been leaning more towards grain salads and hearty stews for my weekday meal prep. I like to make a large batch of grain to have throughout the week, to use for salads, breakfast cereal, and whatever other ideas I conjure up before Friday rolls around. Today it is a wheatberry salad with dried cranberries, feta cheese, green olives, arugula and toasted almonds, dressed with an orange vinegarette.


Grain salads are great when you want to clean out your pantry/fridge and make use of small amounts of a variety of ingredients you may have lying around. I like to include a fresh or dried fruit element, a nut of some sort, a briney or pickled note, a leafy green and some crumbly cheese. Then dress with a mix of olive oil, apple cider or red wine vinegar, citrus juice and zest, garlic, ginger and shallot, or whatever else comes to mind! The combinations are endless!

No comments:

Post a Comment